Add a zing to your Valentine’s Day with Malinda Coletta’s citrusy-sweet Valentine Sugar Cookies! We used orange zest in our test batch and were thrilled with the refreshingly light flavor. Add your favorite icing, or maybe drizzle with some chocolate, and you have a special treat!
4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 sticks butter, cut in pieces
3/4 c sugar
1 large egg, plus one egg white
2 tsp lemon, lime or orange zest
- In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add sugar, eggs and lemon zest. Process until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface; knead several times until dough comes together.
- Divide into 3 portions; flatten each into a disk.
- Roll each disk to an 1/8-inch thickness between sheets of parchment.
- Stack dough (still in parchment) on a baking sheet; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with racks in middle and lower thirds.
- Working with 1 dough sheet at a time, peel off parchment (save for baking).
- With lightly floured cutters, cut dough into desired shapes and arrange, 1 inch apart, on two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets (re-roll scraps, if desired).
- Bake until cookies are set but still pale, 7 to 9 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.
- Using a pastry bag and tip, frost cookies with icing and decorate with sugar!
See step-by-step photos of Malinda’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks nationwide at: www.justapinch.com/valentine
© 2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club.
Photo Courtesy of Cary Bass-Deschenes via Flickr