By Amanda Moses
Due to current events, it’s important that we stay at home so that we help stop the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Libraries, businesses, and various organizations have released free virtual programs for families to enjoy and some have, for a limited time, waived costs for their online applications so that everyone can find some entertainment while at home.
The Spring Creek Sun has compiled a list of free applications and fun websites to try out:
- The New York Public libraries are allowing residents to borrow E-books for free through their application, Simply E. You can download this application on your smartphone or tablet by going to your app store, click Simply E, and once it loads enter in your public library card’s barcode. If you don’t have a library card, you can register for one by simply entering your address and name.
- While schools are on pause, Audible is giving kids free access to audio books from toddlers to teenagers to listen to. For more information visit: https://www.audible.com/ep/kids-audiobooks
- You can watch over 66 Oscar Nominated short films on the National Film Board of Canada’s YouTube Channel. Check out their videos at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHerjfWGX0CVDbirzzjGRjerJ0ejgSV9l&feature=share
- If you are tired of sitting in front of a screen, SiriusXM is providing open access in North America via the SiriusXM app and at www.SiriusXM.com/streamfree Listeners will have free access to more than 300 channels.
- The Rock and Roll Playhouse is providing free livestreams Monday through Friday at 3 pm on their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/RRPHKIDS/?utm_source=Email&utm_campaign=BrooklynBowlNYC&utm_medium=3266232&utm_term=SFMC&utm_content=1236114544
- For a limited time, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater will be virtually sharing free full-length videos of their performance on their YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/AileyOrganization
- Teachers and parents can check out https://www.boredteachers.com/resources/42-fun-websites-to-learn-and-teach-social-studies-from-home to learn about science and social studies websites.
- Just because you are at home doesn’t mean you can’t take virtual tours of museums in New York and around the world!
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris: https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/musee-dorsay-paris?hl=en
- National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.: https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/national-gallery-of-art-washington-dc?hl=en
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Seoul: https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/national-museum-of-modern-and-contemporary-art-korea?hl=en
- British Museum, London: https://britishmuseum.withgoogle.com/
- Guggenheim Museum, New York: https://www.guggenheim.org/