BY AMANDA MOSES
On September 2nd, the Brooklyn Sports Club (BSC) reopened its doors to new and returning members at 33% capacity throughout the facility. The grand reopening was a site for sore eyes for BSC staff and avid health buffs who missed their daily exercise routines in the fitness center. In the morning, a line began to trickle along the entranceway of the BSC, where visitors waited six-feet-apart to go through the mandatory health check and to complete a membership acknowledgement form.
Although masks were worn, the bright faces and excitement could be felt emanating from all visitors as they greeted the BSC staff. “After a long hiatus and many ups and downs during the pandemic, it was certainly a joy to be able to bring the BSC family back together. It was especially highlighted with the return of our members. We had a very big turnout, and everyone was adhering to the new protocols,” said Arnie Gonzalez, Executive Director of the BSC.
Over the past few months, enhancements have been made including the installation of plexiglass barriers at the reception desk, various social distancing signage, and new safety protocols. The health check is an important safety protocol for all entrants because if a visitor has a temperature greater than 100.4 degrees they will be not be permitted entry into the club. In addition, no one is permitted on the premises without a facemask (the following masks are not acceptable for use in the fitness center: bandanas, face shields, buffs, gaiters, and face coverings with valves). Gloves are recommended but not required to be worn.
“Safety is our first priority with a goal of fun and fitness. Overall, it was a fantastic reopening. I’m looking forward to growing the BSC family in the coming months. We welcome members who have been orphaned from the unfortunate closing or bankruptcy filing of their home gyms. We have 100,000 square feet of clean fitness fun. Ask us about our Gym Switcher promotion!” Gonzalez said.
During the initial reopening period the pool, showers, steam rooms, saunas, kids’ club, room rentals, and event spaces are closed. Please note that members can use the basketball court under the following rules: a spot has to be reserved in advance at the front desk, only single play will be allowed, you must bring your own basketball, one person will be allowed per half court with a 30-minute time limit. The same periodic cleaning protocols for the fitness facility will be followed within the gymnasium.
Gonzalez also announced that next week outdoor classes will begin. There will be 30-minute intervals in between group fitness classes for disinfecting, and participants must register for sessions (classes are operating at 33%capacity.)
The BSC staff has worked hard to ensure that members have the safest experience. Their continued dedication over the past year has earned the team four awards from their parent company, WTS International. “I love that each of us represented a different department in the club, from customer service to facilities. This is the definition of synergy. The creation of the whole is greater than the simple sum of its parts,” Gonzalez said.
The BSC is open from Monday to Friday (7 am to 9 pm) and Saturday and Sunday (8 am to 5 pm). If you have any questions, please feel free to contact them at 718-642-2720.
The BSC responds to COVID-19
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Brooklyn Sports Club developed a comprehensive reopening strategy entitled, “The Brooklyn Way.” It further builds upon the BSC’s existing cleaning protocols and follows expert suggestions on sanitizing and cleaning. The following are safety protocols and procedures from the BSC’s website: www.brooklynsportsclub.com/reopening-info.
- The club will increase its frequency of sanitizing, disinfecting, and deep-cleaning throughout the day with medical-grade, EPA-approved disinfectant, which efficiently attacks microbes, providing three times more coverage in the same amount of time as traditional methods.
- We have implemented MERV-13 air filters to ensure proper air ventilation throughout the club, as mandated by our government officials.
- To facilitate the deep-cleaning, specific sections of the club will be periodically restricted for members. Employees and maintenance staff will participate in these continuous and extensive cleaning process throughout the day.
- Maintenance staff will vacuum and disinfect all floor surfaces at regular intervals.
- Employees will be reminded to wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching their face, and maintain a safe social distance from other people, as directed by the CDC guidelines.
- All gym equipment & machines will be disinfected hourly.
• Disinfectants that are medical-grade, EPA-registered and recognized to be effective against the COVID-19 virus will be used for all continuous and deep-cleaning processes.
• This disinfectant will be used via defoggers and spray bottles, to be used by our staff and members.
• This disinfectant will also be used to fully disinfect lockers and group fitness equipment between uses.
• All desks, computers, phones, lobby furniture & front desk surfaces will be disinfected frequently during operating hours.
• Members, guests, and staff will be required to use hand sanitizer when entering the club and frequently throughout their visit. (Hand sanitizer will be available at stations throughout the club.)
• Members and guests will be asked to use disinfectant wipes on equipment before and after use, in addition to BSC cleaning protocols.(Our disinfectant wipes are approved by the EPA for use against COVID-19).
• Disinfectant wipes will be available throughout the club.
• Areas will be sectioned off and lockers designated to comply with social/physical distancing rules.
• Medical-grade, EPA-approved disinfectant will be used to clean all member lockers via foggers and sprayers.
• Restrooms and sinks will also be designated to allow for physical distancing.
• Locker rooms will be monitored on an hourly basis.
Fitness Floor Cleaning:
• All gym equipment and machines must be disinfected after usage.
• To facilitate physical distancing, we will reduce equipment available for use.
• Select equipment will be unplugged and clearly marked to facilitate physical distancing.
• 30 to 45-minute time limits will be imposed on equipment during peak hours, if necessary.
• Certain machines and areas of the gym may be marked as closed.
• Signage will be placed throughout the facility to remind members and guests to wipe down equipment before and after use and to practice physical distancing.