BY AMANDA MOSES
The Starrett City Spring Creek Lions Club International is a volunteer based organization that has existed for many years in the Spring Creek Towers’ (SCT) community. Members of the Lions Club are dedicated to helping out people in their neighborhood by spreading awareness and hosting numerous fundraising events.
These are a few of the fundraisers and community events that the Lions Club has hosted:
- An Anniversary breakfast and three bus rides to casinos, which were funded by community donations.
- Periodic clothing drives that helped community shelters.
- Toy drives during the holiday seasons, which were donated to the Pediatric Ward at Brookdale Hospital.
- Members collected used eyeglasses and donated them to the New Jersey Recycling Center. lThe Lions Club collected pennies to help raise funds for the children of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- They sponsored a summer camp cabin in upstate New York for children who are visually impaired and their families.
- Under the Leadership of President James Tillmon, the Lions Club proudly announces that this year they were able to donate to nearly 19 organizations with a focus on the senior community.
If you are interested in joining the Lions Club and their humanitarian effort, they meet on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month @ 7 pm at the Brooklyn Sports Club (1540 Van Siclen Avenue, Lower Level).